We are helping the University of British Columbia and Musqueam to build a a feature crosswalk using our patented TrafficPatterns at the intersection of University Boulevard and Wesbrook Mall, and was installed by SquareOne.
The design was created collaboratively between UBC & Musqueam to enhance the arrival experience to campus. The decorative crosswalk uses the UBC & Musqueam crests woven together, acknowledging that UBC is situated on the ancestral, traditional and unceded territory of the Musqueam peoples.
Upgrades to pedestrian and cyclist infrastructure along Wesbrook Mall between Student Union Boulevard and the University Boulevard intersection commenced in January 2019. The crosswalks will be complete this Thanksgiving Holiday weekend.
A list of all improvements to the boulevard area:
- Narrowing the road width to create more room for sidewalks, landscaping and bike lanes
- A new pedestrian crossing at the Bus Exchange
- New intersections at Student Union Boulevard and University Boulevard with shorter pedestrian crossing distances and waiting times
- An architectural hardscape ‘feature crosswalk’, street furniture and landscaping will be added at the University Boulevard intersection in order to create a sense of arrival at the main gateway to campus
- Generous, universally accessible sidewalks, and features such as lighting, street trees, planting and seating at the University Boulevard intersection
- Extended median area for pedestrians crossing University Boulevard or for taking photographs of the UBC monument
Learn more about the project at UBC’s Campus + Community Planning website